Friday, January 28, 2011

Up, Up and Away

I try to give people and companies the benefit of the doubt. However, there are times that you are hard pressed to do that. Recent events have made me question our local power company. I understand that power consumption does increase during the winter months. This winter has given us numerous snow storms, but no long term extreme cold spells. That is why I nearly had a heart attack when I received my recent power bill.
            It was nearly double of what it was last year, over $400.00. I don’t think that would be a bad bill, if I was heating the whole neighborhood. I did what any normal person would do, I complained to my coworkers. That is where the real shock occurred. Everyone that was service in Johnson City an Jonesborough areas had the same problem. Even more interesting, most of us seemed to have bills within thirty to forty dollars of each other.
            A group of irate customers quickly started calling their office. It was a trip to the, “Twilight Zone.” Each person reported talking to the same sweet young lady. All the conversations seemed to be the same. “There was no rate hike. It is due to an unusually large usage during the colder months of the year.” They must have the cloning process down pat.
            I might have bought their line, except for a few things. We remodeled our home this summer. This included adding insulation throughout our home. We had virtually no insulation in our walls and attic for the past few years. With that lack of insulation, we didn’t have a bill even close to this one. Call me crazy, but shouldn’t your bill go down after you add all that.  I won’t mention the energy saving gadgets that we installed in the home.
            The large bills are affecting everyone I know the same. People are trying to scrounge up the money to pay. You can’t let your children live in a home without power. Many people have to let other bills go. Let’s see how that works out. I see a snowball starting to roll for all of us. How big will it get? How many of us will get caught up in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

html