Friday, July 12, 2013

A Father to Remember.

   
       An old friend of mine posted a video on Facebook earlier. It almost made me cry. I was really choked up watching it. The man in that video is an example I hope to emulate as a father. Don't get me wrong. There are many parents out there that are giving everything they have to feed and cloth their families. I have no desire to belittle the sacrifices that they make everyday for their families. They are heroes as well. Unfortunately, it is hard to place their daily devotion on a four minute video.
     I consider myself a a descent father and a man that is is good shape for a 45 year old man. This man puts me to shame. I don't know his age. It doesn't matter. What he accomplished is impressive at any age. Apparently, his son wanted the two of them to compete in an Ironman competition together. Simply competing as a Father and Son is impressive enough. There are many healthy young men and women that never complete the race. It involves a marathon run, a swim designed for sharks, and a bike ride from Hell. Doing all that with a paralyzed child is phenomenal.
     I don't know the man's name. It doesn't matter. His actions are more important than his name. To be  able to even try and compete in the Ironman, took dedication. The father had to spend endless hours training with his child. Even if he had trained on his own, it would not have prepared him for the reality of the competition with his son involved. The video showed him towing his son in a rubber raft through the 2.5 mile swim. I have never swam that far in my life. I cannot even imagine trying that, especially with me trying to pull a raft behind.
     Straight from the water, the father picked up his son and ran several hundred yards to begin a grueling bike race. Not only did the man pick up his son. He cradled him in his arms as he sprinted to the bike. The love was apparent there. His son smiled as he was strapped into a special seat on the front of the bike. His dad went the extra step here. He placed his son in the front, not the back. I'm sure it gave the boy more of the feeling of being involved. He wasn't simply along for the ride.
     Without a chance for pause, the team went straight from the bike race to the 26.2 marathon. The pride and happiness shown on the child's face. The father's visage was beaming pain and determination as he strapped his son in the chair. There were times when he was almost walking pushing the special chair up hills. Other times, he was almost sprinted toward the goal. His son smiled encouragement to him.
     It was well after dark before they crossed the finish line. Hundreds of people stood encouraging them on. tears of joy ran down both their faces as they crossed the line. The father hugged and kissed his inspiration. A smiled crossed the younger man's face. The smile spoke volumes. "See Dad, I knew you could do it. Thank you for helping me do it. You are my Hero, Dad."
     If that doesn't touch your heart, I don't know what will. The Grinch would melt seeing that. This man didn't save the lives of hundreds. He didn't fight some war for God and country. However, he did more. He gave a chance to smile, and a memory that he will never forget. May we all give our children such pleasant memories to remember us by.

No comments:

Post a Comment

html