Monday, November 11, 2013

Happy Veterans Day

    Today is Veteran's Day. I would like to thank All those that have served. You have sacrificed so much. I know how hard it is to leave your family and friends to do your duty. You has spent long hard hours in places that few people even know the names or locations. We have cried, ranted and laughed at things sane people would have walked away from. Each of you are a hero in your own right. Remember, You are the few that dare to do do the things so that the many may sleep well at night.


    We must also thank our families and friends at this time. They spend long sleepless nights worrying about us each time we go down range. They are our heroes. Our spouses, families and friends must keep life going while we struggle elsewhere. It is no easy feat for them as well. They must care for our children, and keep our memories alive at the same time. Anyone that has to care for multiple children alone deserves our respect. There is a different stress involved in dealing with naked children running through the house, while trying to complete homework and cook dinner. Sanity is a fleeting thing for them.

    For those individuals and politicians that are jumping on the 'Thank a Veteran' bandwagon because it is a holiday, I am letting you know I think you are number one. However, I am not holding up my index finger. You are the people that only do this because it is fashionable to be seen doing this today. How many of you wrote a military person while they were over seas? How many of you visited a family of a veteran while they were overseas? I'd say you are the same people that couldn't find a VA hospital, let alone take the time to visit a veteran there.

    Most of Congress couldn't even tell you how many people from their home states are serving in foreign countries today. I'm certain they do not know the names. Here's an idea. Use some that Congressional money you have for expenses and send each of them a thank you letter. It could be a form letter, we understand that. Just take the time to sign it yourself. I'm sure a few hours away from the lobbyists and power brokers won't kill your career. You might even put a smile on a lone troop's face.

    There are those of you that constantly show support for the troops. For all of you, we say thank you back. The letters, boxes, and special things mean a great deal. I want to send a special thanks to my wife and family for being there. You are the reason I make it home. To the two little elder ladies that bought me shots in the airport on my last return home. Thank you as well. I needed that. Keep up the good work!

   Happy Veterans Day to all those that are still with us, and to those that have gone before us!

No comments:

Post a Comment

html